WWE SMACKDOWN REVIEW - June 4, 2019

WWE SMACKDOWN REVIEW - JUNE 4, 2019


It's time for Smackdown. I didn't think RAW was terrible; hopefully Smackdown won't lower the bar any.

source: USA Network
Well THAT doesn't look promising.

It's a struggle to have to remind myself that WWE is a global corporation, and that they're about to make a whole bunch of money.

Maybe my disdain should be directed at the people of Saudi Arabia. What unearthly reason compels these humans to WANT to see The Undertaker and Goldberg wrestle a match in 2019?

source: USA Network
I like the Kofi and Dolph angle. It's a very relatable jealousy storyline.

Kofi telling Dolph that it COULD have been him but he took himself out of the game was a really good response.

I personally was thinking the reason it wasn't Dolph is because he just comes across as genuinely being a smug douche. If that's all acting, then give that man an Oscar.

Also of note, I thought the Ghana video package from Kofi's trip back home was great; I'm just not sure it's best placed in the opening segment, presented by someone standing in the ring. It's heartwarming; it isn't heart-pumping. I'd think you'd want to start the show with the latter.

source: wwe.com
Can we get THIS as a faction? It feels like these three could make a great set of annoying, sophomoric heels.

At any rate, decent match here between The New Day and Owens & Zayn. Fairly routine set-up for the go-home of Super Showdown; Dolph attacks.

This is the only match on that card that I have any interest in checking out. I kind of hope the swerve us all and have Dolph go over, and win the title.


source: wwe.com
I think we're all aware that WWE can find ways to overuse the "heel hosts a talk show" idea. However, this kind of set-up is perfect for the heel Alexa Bliss character.

Now, that being said; is Alexa a heel? I feel like WWE spent no less than two segments of RAW trying to convince me otherwise. In fact, last I saw Alexa, we were all cheering her for snapping and attacking the IIconics.

Another aspect that WWE seems to not shake the habit of, is adding too many people into the story. It feels like everytime we need a new challenger for the title, I have to hear 3 or more intros, 3 or more reasons why someone should be the number one contender, and ALL of those reasons are essentially the same.

source: USA Network
I'm going to give WWE some credit. The 24/7 Title has been entertaining. Mostly due to R-Truth and Drake Maverick. 

The Lumberjack Match was a nice change of pace, and it helped me formulate an idea to make this less of a wild circus.

The 24/7 Title can maintain its premise of being up for grabs at all times, all places, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; but we don't need to act like every single mid carder wants to spend their every waking moment chasing a champion through Burger King.

Also, this concept lends itself to me having to believe that all it takes to beat someone is a surprise rollup. This will never be very exciting. 

Here's my idea: reduce the amount of people that set their sites on this title. Have them challenge at random times and places, but make it an impromptu Falls Count Anywhere match that would stand-alone as a quality PPV or TV match. 

Think of it, similar to a Flash Mob, you're at a WWE Meet and Greet, or something like that. R Truth shows up, is shaking hands, and then Zack Ryder (or whoever the hell you want to use for this reference), arrives with a referee and they have an impromptu 24/7 Title Match all over the Cricket Mobile store they are at. 

The match lasts fifteen minutes, it's awesome, we get a new 24/7 Champ, and it's a viral hit on Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter. Then, you only have to do stuff like this every few weeks.

What do YOU think of this idea? Use #TweetTheTable on Twitter to share your thoughts and we'll read some of our favorites on the next episode of The Spanish Announce Table podcast.


source: USA Network
Aleister Black seems cool enough, but am I supposed to get behind someone that is hiding in a dark room, complaining that no one will seek him out for a fight; just for the sake of having a fight?

Or am I NOT supposed to get behind this? Is he the bad guy? I hope we get answers sooner, rather than later.


source: wwe.com
I wish there was more focus on Drew vs Roman. Drew just being the muscle doesn't really feature all of his assets well. He is just there. I really am not interested in seeing Shane McMahon wrestle.


source: wwe.com
This is what I was referencing earlier; if we are just going with Bayley vs Alexa Bliss, why did we involve Carmella, Charlotte, Sonya Deville, and Mandy Rose into this mess?

source: USA Network
Alright, they're giving us a little something wth Lars, here. He clearly doesn't like being called a freak. That can be some easy feul to put him on a rampage now and then.

An easy storyline that comes to mind is that Lars mistakes the niceness of one of the female superstars to mean she had romantic interests in him.

When she realizes this, the confides in her friends that she thinks he's a freak; which he overhears, and flips out. You can then pick some male superstar to play the role of protector.

Then you can always flip the script down the road and have the female actually start to like Lars, and start helping him. Just a thought.

source: wwe.com
I don't care about any of this. Not Andrade, Not Finn Balor, not Zelina Vega, and definitely not Apollo Crews.

I'm not trying to be rude, but it's just that I don't recall that WWE has given us much to care for here.

I'm not even sure how you could even really fix this, moving forward.

source: wwe.com
Okay, so this was actually a lot better than I feared it would be. Goldberg's promo skills are light years better than his run on the late 90's.

Goldberg also still carries a big fight feel with him, and he still jacked. This did enough to make me wonder what this match will look like, but I still don't care about the outcome.

That's the thing that these big, one-off, part,timer matches are typically missing; a reason to care who wins.

WHAT DID YOU THINK ABOUT SMACKDOWN?

Use #TweetTheTable on Twitter to share your thoughts and we'll read some of our favorites on the next episode of The Spanish Announce Table podcast.
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment