Positive and Patient By Dustin T Hull


Time is relative. Time is too slow when waiting and time paces too fast for a moment you don’t want to end. Time is the one commodity in life that we can never replenish. I know; heavy stuff for wrestling websites, but its truth. These last 3 weeks has been a mixture. Time has sped by due to spending it with family, which is amazing. However, the time that I have been away from writing has crawled because I’ve been building up opinions for what is going on within Impact Wrestling. Their time away from providing new weekly content has also given me this craving desire to see what will be the next chapter for Impact Wrestling. With the time that we’ve had from the last “normal” episode of Impact, these are a few points that have really kept my interest.


The amount of time that Impact has received from Destination America is promising. In the short time since the announcement, Impact has been granted 7 hours of weekly programming. This includes replays, the Best of Show, and the interesting idea behind Unlocked. Many – including myself – wonder if they are focused too heavily on replays, but the idea of Mike Tenay hosting a show that brings us the behind the scenes look to Impact has some merit to it. The potential power ranking is appealing to me. Yes, we all know this is a scripted performance art, but we all have our hierarchy and the idea of seeing how Impact views their talent interests me.

We will also see Tenay in a role I find fits him. Similar to how Mean Gene was getting the “scoop”, the Professor will bring us reactions to these guys and what happened for the week. This is an opportunity to advance storylines, get fans deeper into these characters, and is hosted by one of the most knowledgeable men in wrestling; translation - a great idea to me on paper. Rather than trying to cram character advancements into a 2 hour show, Tenay can now guide us deeper into the depths of these characters and their altercations.

I have also found the absence of information for the January 7th episode has inspired great interest for me. We know that Roode/Lashely 3 will take place, but honestly we are clueless to what else will happen. Normally, we have an idea of where to connect the dots but right now, there’s no certainty as to where we go next. A lot can be made of the authority figure being stricken of power for attacking the performer, so what happens with Kurt after retaliating to MVP? Since his small clips on the last 4 Spike episodes, I question if we see Shera debut fully awakened on this show. With Lockdown around the corner, do we see some build up for Hardy’s vs. Wolves or do the Wolves address the Revolution? This time frame without information as to the story direction, mixed with the fact that this will be the first LIVE show in months has my mind turning through multiple scenarios.

A lot of the things that we fans have shouted for out of TNA have come about in the past 2 years. They are out of the Impact Zone and traveling. They are willing to go live when needed. They have stirred up the top of the card and allowed home grown talent to be elevated. They have trimmed the roster down; even if you didn’t agree with some of those decisions. They brought back a 6 sided ring due the clamoring of the vocal fan majority – even if some (fans AND wrestlers) did not want it back. With this move to Destination America, they will now provide us more than just 2 hours weekly. If there is ever a time to make a big statement, this debut is that moment for Impact Wrestling.


My question to all of you – Is there an issue that TNA has not addressed as of yet that you feel needs to be focused on before launching on January 7th? I know some have mentioned the management, while others fault the writing staff. Hell, some even say that there are guys who shouldn’t even be on the roster still. I cannot honestly answer this question because I think they have done quite a bit to make this network move seem as a new beginning for TNA. While I may have a few nitpicks, I can honestly boil it down to my overly critical nature. I will take my friend T-Mac’s advice to remain positive and patient. I positively believe that Impact will deliver a great product on the 7th and I’m patient that when the dust settles 6 months down the road, we will see Impact in a different light.
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment